Vegan Som Tam
For the Salad
Green Papaya – 150 gms
Carrots – 50 gms
Runner Beans – 30 gms
Cherry Tomatoes – 20 gms
Red Chili – 5 gms
Garlic – 5 gms
Peanuts – 15 gms
For the Dressing
Lime Juice – 60 ml
Palm Sugar – 55 gms
Vegetarian Oyster Sauce – 25gms
Brown Sugar – 12 gms
Salt – to taste
1. Peel the green papaya and grate it to get thin long strips of raw papaya. Follow the same for the carrots and keep them both aside or refrigerate till you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
2. Cut the cherry tomatoes in to halves and the runner beans into 1” long pieces.
3. Roast the peanuts first and crush lightly to get a coarse texture.
4. For the dressing, mix all the ingredients well and make sure both the sugars dissolve completely. Taste and adjust the salt accordingly.
5. To make the salad, preferably using a wooden mortar and pestle, crush the garlic and red chili along with some of the tomatoes and runner beans. Once these are mashed well, add in the papaya and carrot and pound lightly. Add the remaining tomatoes and runner beans and slowly pour in the dressing. Toss the salad along with the dressing to mix it evenly and pound in between tossing. Mix in half of the crushed peanuts and save the rest for garnishing.
6. Remove the salad onto a plate/ serving bowl and pour all the dressing over it. Garnish with crushed peanuts and serve